John Casimir, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (1596 -1660), German prince of the House of Ascania. He was ruler of the principality of Anhalt-Dessau from 1618 to 1660.
Artist: Martin Bernigeroth (1670 Rammelburg; – 1733 Leipzig)
Size 35 x 23 cms
Portrait of Charles, 8th Lord Kinnaird of Inchture (1780-1826)
By Johann Heinrich Schröder 1757-1812
Pastel drawing on paper 15 x 13 inches
Contained in Good giltwood frame
Framed size: 17¼ x 15½ inches
Johann Heinrich Schroeder (1757 Meiningen – 1812 Meiningen) was a pupil of J.H.Tischbein in Cassel, made study trips to England, where he portrayed members of the royal family, and to the Netherlands. He worked at various German courts (along with others in Hannover and Berlin), in 1785 became royal portraitist of the Duke of Brunswyck, further was a royal painter in Baden. During his late period he lived alternately in his native Meiningen and in Brunswyck. He worked mainly in pastel and was the best German artist of his time using this technique.
King Charles I, a German hollow silver Memorial medal, 1649, by Hans Reinhardt the younger, signed HR in monogram on reverse, conjoined busts right of Charles and Henrietta Maria, he, in armour slightly turned, hair falling over plain lace collar, wearing Garter George on ribbon, she with pearl necklace, CAROLVS ET MARIA DG MAG BRITAN FRANE ET HIBER Rx ET Ra, rev., a seven headed monster rampant over the head of Charles and the crown and scepter, HEV QVÆNAM HÆC INSANIAVULGI
, 75mm (MI 350/209, illus.; vL -; Eim. 159; BDM VIII, 155-156; Platt p. 259).
A superb medal, nearly extremely fine and extremely rare.
The obverse was first used on the medal for the Anglo-Dutch Fishing Treaty of 1636, with the numerals of the date 16=36 to either side of the busts and with a reverse depicting Justice and Peace embracing (MI 279/ 84).
William and Mary, Coronation 1689, a German silver medal, by Philipp Heinrich Müller, laureate and armoured bust of William right, GVLIELMVS REX … PATRIÆ DECVS ANGLIÆ PRÆSIDIVM, rev., a chronogrammatic legend within a Garter decorated with four shields, GVILIEM PRINCEPS AVRIACVS ANGLIAE…., lettered edge, by Friedrich Kleinert, REGIA CREDE MIHI RES EST SUCCURRERE LAPSIS (FK), 49mm (MI 675/50; vL III, 392, 2).
Very fine, minor knock and two nicks to rim, very rare.
Provenance: The Christopher Foley, F.S.A., Collection Of Early English Medals
William III, The Act of Toleration, cast silver medal, 1689, a mule of two medal reverses, by Philipp Heinrich Müller [Nurnberg], Britannia, attended by Religion and Liberty, takes the hand of William III, TE SERVATORE NON SERVIMVS, rev., two rings and hearts on altar with other emblems of love and marriage, a building façade beyond, DITANT CONCORDES – NUMINA NUPTOS, 45.5mm (obv., MI 683/64; Eim. 314; vL III, 392, 1; rev., Gopp 4075; Kahane 172).
The Act of Toleration gave freedom of religion amongst Protestants, though not Catholics. It seems an odd combination for a medal commemorating this cause to be joined to with a marriage medal.
The Christopher Foley, F.S.A., Collection Of Early English Medals
John George was the Elector of Saxony from 1656 to 1680. He belonged to the Albertine line of the House of Wettin.
Subject gender: Male
Artist: Nicholas Weishun 1631 after Karel Skreta.
Size 30 x 23 cms
Leopold Ignaz Joseph Balthasar Felician 1640-1705 was Holy Roman Emperor, King of Hungary and Croatia and King of Bohemia.
Artist Peter Aubry 1596-1668
Size 30 x 22
Johann Wilhelm II, Elector Palatine (“Jan Wellem”) 1658-1716 of the Wittelsbach dynasty was Elector Palatine , Duke Palatine of Neuburg/Danube Duke of Jülich and Berg and Duke of Upper Palatinate.. From 1697 onwards Johann Wilhelm was also Count of Megen.
Artist Franz Lippold 1688-1768 /Johann Wilhelm Windter 1696-1765
Size 33 x 20
Louis X born Grünwald, 1495-1545 was Duke of Bavaria , together with his older brother William IV, Duke of Bavaria. His parents were Albert IV and Kunigunde of Austria, a daughter of Emperor Frederick III.
Artist Christoph Amberger
Size 26 x 18 cms
The Ebner von Eschenbach are one of the oldest patrician families of the city of Nuremberg , first mentioned in the year 1251st names obtainable family seat, except for the years 1667 to 1676, until today, the 1508 from the Harsdörffer of Enderndorf acquired mansion in Eschenbach at Hersbruck
Artist Muller 1746
Size 38 x 27 cms